July 30, 2006

Cafe Sutra 639 A 5th Ave. at 18th Street, Park Slope, Brooklyn



Indian-themed espresso and dessert shop

Coffee: **** Overall: *****

Coffee Of The Day: Tres Santos, Colombian

Offerings: Assorted pastries. Espresso beverages, tea, beer and wine. Coffee by the pound.

Unique Drinks: Specialty lattes including the White Lotus, Ghiradelli white chocolate and raspberry and the Shiva, Ghiradelli chocolate and peppermint.

Spacial Treats: Red Velvet cupcake

Interior: Indian motif with warm colors. Magenta and white walls with maroon velvet tapestries and sheer gold and pink curtains create a doorway to the espresso bar. Colorful artwork is displayed on the wall. Space is filled with large, comfy couches and chairs as well as high wooden tables. Although the place is relatively small, it feels roomy because of the placement of the furniture.

Music: Mix of eclectic lounge music reminiscent of the Thievery Corporation.

Clientele: Young, 30-something crowd.

Free WiFi: Yes

Credit Cards: Yes, $5.00 minimum.

Barista: Friendly, blond young man. Apologized for giving me five singles when he ran out of five dollar bills. Asked if I liked the coffee when I brought my empty cup to the counter.

Extras: Magazine rack with current issues to read. Outdoor patio in the back. Small bench in front of the store. Cafe Sutra also caters private parties and events.

Notes: The coffee only got four stars because I'm not a big fan of Latin American coffees. I prefer Indonesian and African coffees.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I'm complex and multidimensional.